Bookmark this page and visit often.



Friday, June 11, 2010

Brain, milk and World Cup, briefly

My brain is tired from all the learning, all the new words, tastes, people, sights, smells. This will pass, though maybe not until we're done with our pre-service training in early August. Susan is asleep; I've been downstairs playing cards with Heno, the family's 14-year-old boy. I never figured out all the rules, but since I won it was easy to go with the flow. Of course I did get help, first from our majr (the host mom), then from the pajr (host dad).

I also helped carry a huge metal milk bottle - which looked very much like the ones I remember from my childhood summers in rural Finland - from the car into the kitchen. The family is making milk for the next month or two. I hope we get a chance to help.

Our familiar world feels a million miles away, although I've managed to wrest control of the remote a couple of times now to watch BBC World Service. I now know that South Africa played Mexico to a draw. My condolences to Jose Mario and Cesar.

2 comments:

  1. Hälsningar från det rurala Finland. Vi hade kontakt med Carin för första gången på flera månader och hon berättade om ert stora äventyr. Hon lovade skicka adressen, men det behövdes inte. Det gick lätt att hitta den via Google. Vi skickade ett gammalmodigt (nästan ruralt) födelsedagskort till din hemadress - kanske den vidarebefordras till din nya adress via Peace Corps.
    Vi gratulerar er båda till valet av nytt jobb och hoppas att det skall lyckas.

    Hör av er.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej Jörgen!

    Jag såg din kommentar först nu. Fick kortet för bara ett par dagar sedan och skrev mejl till christina@kolumbus.fi, men det studsade tillbaks, så jag hade tänkt ringa. Men det skulle vara roligt att ha mejlkontakt - att ringa är dyrt härifrån. Mitt mejl är numera fredlinden89 [snabel] gmail [dått] com.

    ReplyDelete